Overpayments can happen for any of the following reasons:
- You don’t let Social Security know right away when you start working.
- You don’t let Social Security know right away each time your earnings change.
- You don’t tell Social Security about another disability payment you get, such as workers’ compensation (also known as workers’ comp).
- You let Social Security know about changes, but they don’t put the information into their computer system.
- You earn more money than Social Security allows while collecting SSDI benefits.
- You are no longer disabled but you keep getting SSDI benefits.