Here are some information that are relevant to your application for a rental unit:
- Application fees cost approximately $10-25, and include costs associated with processing the application and running a credit check.
- Past residences
- Employment history
- Credit references
- Bank/credit accounts
- Emergency contacts
- Discrimination in the rental of a dwelling because of national origin, ancestry, age, race, color, familiar status, marital status, HIV infection, disability, religion, or sex is illegal. Contact Legal Aid at (808) 527-3247
- Landlord may use Criteria to Select Tenants - landlords may use legal criteria to select tenants, such as their past tenancy history, credit history, criminal history, and income. Landlords may also use personal criteria in selecting tenants, such as purple hair, nose rings, etc. In some places, a landlord may even refuse to rent prospective tenants because of their occupation.
- When viewing the rental unit, tenants should check the property thoroughly (ex. ensure that the water runs, toilets flush, windows open and close, lights turn on and off, etc. BUT be respectful!)
- Tenants should prepare any and all information that s/he may be required on their rental application, and bring it when viewing potential dwellings, including references, employer, past residences, former landlords, etc.
- Tenants should be properly groomed, and neatly dressed when viewing potential dwellings. Children should be left at home to minimize distractions. The truth should always be told!