What is a Planning and Placement Team?
The PPT is a group of people who know your child's abilities. Parents are important and equal members of this team!
The PPT must include:
- the child's parent (parents must be invited to the PPT meeting and it is very important that you attend);
- a school administrator (or someone named by him or her);
- your child’s teacher;
- a member of the special education staff.
The PPT may include:
- other school staff;
- your child (if you think it is appropriate);
- other people you want. For example, if your child received Birth to Three services, you have the right to ask that someone from that program be invited to the first PPT meeting.
Note: If your child might have a "specific learning disability" (a disability involving listening, thinking, speaking, reading, writing, spelling, or math), the PPT must also include someone who is qualified to do special testing of your child for a learning disability.
Read our article about Special Education.